Couching, knitting, blanket stitch rings, spider webs and of course French knots are just some of the techniques you can explore.
Your individual outline composition plan will be developed within the workshop and all techniques will be demonstrated. Illustrated instructions will enable you to complete this project at home.
The finished piece will be approximately 15 to 20 cms square .
Materials : Have a good look at the photographs and aim to make some decisions about what you really want to include. Eg. If you know you don’t want to include square beads then adapt your list accordingly. Note: Square beads do give a good wall effect but this can also be achieved with satin stitch.
Look on ‘requirements’ tab for full list.
- Even weave linen in a colour of your choice. I use 32 count Zweigart Belfast linen. It is soft and easy to work with. You need a piece of approx 30x 30 cms. This is available on Etsy, Amazon and John Lewis.
- Square beads 5 to 10 mm. two hole. Etsy Czech beads. approx 50 to 70 in number. Allow about a week for delivery.
- A selection of seed beads and bugle beads and sequins available from Etsy and Amazon .
- Lentil beads are the small flat ones with one hole at the top you see in the images. Also polo beads. Etsy Czech beads, here again allow about a week for delivery.
- Felt balls no more then 10, 10mm diameter available from Etsy
- Plastic washers. A selection of sizes. You can get a multi size box from Amazon
- A selection of textured yarns, Fine knitting wool, fine ribbon, raffia, some can be variegated, Try Juko yarns, Oliver twists or Steph Francis. But don’t spend a lot, Have a good rummage through your stash.
- A selection of Stranded DMC, some variegated.
I will be bringing lots of materials too so don’t spend a fortune!
- An embroidery hoop. 18cms to 25 cms diameter. I prefer to work in a 18 cm diameter wooden hoop and move the work within the hoop.
- Tapestry needle blunt point large eye. Large size 15 ish and Medium size 20 to 24
- Crewel needles. Sharp point large eye. Medium size approx size 5 ish and smallest size for beading size 7
Nb the bigger the number the finer the needle
- If you have very fine seed beads you will need a beading needle
- Embroidery scissors
- Fine knitting needles 2 to 3 mm ( Don’t buy if you don’t own any. I’ll bring some along )